Castel Specialty continues expansion with Benelux M&A and European tax covers
20 September 2017
London, 20 September 2017 – Castel Specialty, a division of Castel Underwriting Agencies Limited (Castel) the club-style MGA formation platform, supporting individual underwriters with smaller books of niche business, has continued the expansion of its portfolio with the launch of Castel Transact (Transact), offering warranty and indemnity insurance cover for Benelux merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions, and tax risk insurance for tax liabilities in Europe.
Transact offers tailored solutions for Benelux M&A transactions covering breaches in representations and warranties given in the sale of a business. Transactional tax risk solutions, addressing exposures resulting from greater complexity in global tax regimes, are provided to European-based organisations.
Led by Sammy Shihab, Transact will be based in Amsterdam with capacity provided by London company market insurers.
Sammy Shihab was previously a senior underwriter in AIG’s M&A and transaction liability business based in the Netherlands. He has also held the role of senior manager with PwC in Australia and Indonesia, advising on a variety of M&A transactions from private equity investments and divestments to public transactions.
Sammy Shihab, commented: “Transact combines underwriting expertise with a streamlined process, utilising automation and technology to deliver a more tailored approach to covering transactional risks. Castel’s understanding of and willingness to back niche business, combined with their ability to access a range of high quality capacity providers, has enabled us to come to the market quickly with a responsive and robust solution that meets the very specific risk transfer needs in this market.”
Mark Birrell, CEO of Castel, said: “Sammy’s expertise and niche focus is typical of the entrepreneurial underwriter that our MGA formation platform is designed to support in launching and developing specialty businesses. Transact also represents an important milestone with Castel’s expansion in Europe.”
Castel Specialty provides the infrastructure, capacity and business support required to support talented and entrepreneurial individual underwriters to begin writing their own books of business quickly. Underwriters are rewarded and incentivised according to the profitability of their individual book of business. In addition to Transact’s M&A and tax warranty and indemnity covers, Castel Specialty’s portfolio covers forestry physical damage, construction all risks and inherent defects insurance on a worldwide basis.
For further information, please contact:
Full Circle Communications
Alex Wise Mobile +44 (0) 7710 665 615
Tel: +44 (0)20 7265 7887
Notes to editors
Castel Underwriting Agencies Limited, part of Barbican Insurance Group, is a managing general agent (MGA) and club-style MGA formation platform focused on achieving success and driving innovation through collaboration. It provides experienced and entrepreneurial underwriters with stable capacity and a fast-track route to creating their own businesses. Castel is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Learn more about Castel at www.castelmga.com.
Castel’s underwriting cells include:
• Altitude Risk Partners, which underwrites airlines, aerospace manufacturing products, general aviation, war and space business.
• Castel Specialty which supports talented and entrepreneurial individual underwriters who have smaller books of niche business including forestry physical damage, construction all risks and inherent defects insurance and M&A and tax warranty and indemnity covers.
• Medical & Commercial International (MCI)which underwrites general medical and pharmaceutical liability business on an international basis.
• Newbridge Risk Partners which underwrites a political violence portfolio focused on emerging markets - MENA, Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin and South America and Asia regions.
• Nirvana Risk Partners which underwrites media, technology and cyber liability risks for small and large enterprises on a global basis.
• Vecta Risk Partners which underwrites specialist group and individual accident & health, travel and lifestyle coverages distributed through brokers and affinity e-trading platforms.
• Verve Risk Partners which underwrites US professional and management liability risks, focusing on insurance companies and captives as well as insurance agents and brokers.
• Yachtpod Risk Partners which underwrites specialist coverages including hull and machinery, increased value, war, medical expenses, mortgagee’s interest and loss of charter hire risks for superyacht owners, captains, and managers on a worldwide basis.