Ker joins Castel as head of performance
22 September 2021
22 September 2021– Castel Underwriting Agencies Ltd (Castel), has today announced the appointment of Doug Ker to the newly created role of head of performance.
Doug will be responsible for working with the firm’s underwriting cells to enhance profitability. He will work across Castel’s UK and European regulated businesses.
He joins Castel from Apollo Syndicate Management where he was underwriting business partner overseeing underwriting governance and business development. He has over 15 years’ insurance and reinsurance industry experience and was previously head of international underwriting operations with Aspen.
Commenting on his appointment, Ker said: “This is a pivotal time to be joining Castel. There are some exciting global growth opportunities, and I am looking forward to working alongside Mark and the team to leverage the expertise and experience that exists within Castel to aggressively pursue our development strategy.”
Mark Birrell, Chief Executive Officer of Castel, said: “Strengthening the breadth and depth of our senior management team is a sign of our continual development. We welcome Doug and look forward to him helping us continue to grow a successful and profitable business.”
For further information, please contact:
Full Circle Corporate Communications
Mobile +44 (0) 7710 665615
Tel: +44 (0)20 7265 7887
Notes to editors
Castel Underwriting Agencies Limited, part of Arch Insurance International, is an independent trading company and managing general agent (MGA) and club-style MGA formation platform focused on achieving success and driving innovation through collaboration. It provides experienced and entrepreneurial underwriters with stable capacity and a fast-track route to creating their own businesses. Castel is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Learn more about Castel at www.castelmga.com.
Castel’s underwriting cells include:
- Specialty Centre of Excellence which supports talented and entrepreneurial individual underwriters who have smaller books of niche business including bloodstock risks, accident & health, political risk, marine, facultative reinsurance, and renewable energy.
- Construction and Engineering Centre of Excellence which supports construction and Inherent defect insurance.
- Marine Centre of Excellence which supports marine cargo, hull and liability classes of business in the UK and continental Europe with offices in London and Rotterdam.
- Square Pegs which underwrites liability and property coverage for UK micro and small businesses via a dedicated e-trading portal
- Nirvana Risk Partners which underwrites media, technology and cyber liability risks for small and large enterprises on a global basis.
- Verve Risk Partners which underwrites U.S. professional and management liability risks, focusing on insurance companies and captives as well as insurance agents and brokers.
- Yachtpod Risk Partners which underwrites specialist coverages including hull and machinery, increased value, war, medical expenses, mortgagee’s interest and loss of charter hire risks for superyacht owners, captains, and managers on a worldwide basis.
Castel Underwriting Europe B.V. (Castel Europe) is the European subsidiary of Castel Underwriting Agencies Limited (Castel). Its divisions include Transact, which provides tailored warranty and indemnity and tax risk insurances for European-based organisations, Castel Marine, which writes Dutch and Belgian domiciled marine cargo, hull, land-based equipment and liability business, based in Rotterdam and Arena N.V., a Belgian-based specialist accident and health (A&H) MGA.